[SunRescue] Re: fddi

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 21:38:22 CDT 2001

>So, what's involved with setting up a FDDI network between my sun and
dec
>and other unix machines?  I know I need fddi cards, but what is needed
in
>the way of a hub or other stuff?
>
>--
>Joshua Boyd

Not much, it's simple. You need a FDDI concentrator to do it right, you
can do a big ring but that's icky. Simply run fiber from each
concentrator to the comp a la ethernet and you're done. I'd stay away
from the evil Sun Sbus cards like my 501-1732 that I _still_ can't find
drivers for and get a nice NPI. Also for dec you want a DEFTA card if
you're running turbo channel and netbsd. Cable is butt cheap off Ebay
as are pci cards and other stuff. If you can't find a hub off Ebay I've
got one too many, I;d be willing to sell either a 3com 8 port or a
Cisco 10(I think, it's 10 or 9) port. Also, IIRC you can simple cross
the fibers between two machines like a crossover cable. I love my fddi,
it's cheap for older comps and I hit higher transfer rates than
switched fast ethernet. The DEC pci cards are _really_ nice. Oh, and
one last thing, you can fit ST connectors into SC jacks no problem.

HTH
Mike