[SunRescue] Routers for Mr. Bill (oh-ho!)

James Fogg rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 13:49:16 CDT 2001

Actually, the Linksys box supports pptp passthrough (iow, pptp to a machine
behing the linksys).

I had the 1 port linksys on 640 dsl. Very happy with the unit. Now I'm without
DSL. Very unhappy about dialup.

Of course, a box with a $100.00 retail price won't provide enough profit for
groceries, but will by a few big macs.

Sell him your consulting time to "reconfigure" the NT server for pptp behind
the linksys "firewall" (it does provide an access list type firewall, but not
statefull). That should be good for about 2 hours, which should be about
$300.00, which should be good for 2 weeks of groceries and the gas to get them.

What I have personally found is that I can bust my hump and spend lots of time
selling hardware for about $2000 profit (thats a LOT of hardware in the tighter
Bush economy), or I can spend two unstressfull days doing consulting work and
make $2000.00 and spend another day or two lining up more work. In other words,
even Wal-Mart can sell routers, but it takes someone who knows the ropes to
make them work. I have found very few companies with onboard talent that can
install and configure a router without much gnashing of teeth and foul language.

 On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, THOU SPAKE: