[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 09:24:42 CDT 2001

I've easily made a "rescue" floppy for NetBSD that'll boot and run just
fine on a 4MB 486 machine.  Turning it into a "router" would only
involve removing a couple of unnecessary programs (to make space) and
adding couple more programs back in, and writing a script or two
(because the full multi-user startup system is far too heavy-weight).

It'd be pretty useless and very hard to manage though.

Why people want it on a floppy is beyond me.  You can't ask for a less
reliable piece of hardware on most machines....

Dunno about the *other* people running their 'router' on a floppy disk, I've
been doing so for about a year now because . . it was easier than the
alternative, and I had a 486 without a hard drive just sitting around the
house.