[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 03:25:21 CDT 2001

When you say "Two of them run AOL" what do you mean? If you mean using AIM
than you should have no problem, but if you are using AOL's BYOS (bring your
own service) option you might.

The BYOS servers are non stateful proxies from the internet to AOLNet, and
they are geographically distributed and load balanced across AOL's major
nodes. If a user with BYOS logs in, that users session is then associated
with the IP address of the login session.

In earlier versions of AOL the 'real' ip address of the system is
transmitted as part of the login, and if it doesn't match the source IP
address you may not be allowed to login. In more recent versions I don't
think they do this. It was VERY irritating when I was doing tech support for
an ISP however.

As of early last year (the last time I had to deal with this issue thank
god) if two persons appearing under the same IP address attempted to login,
one of them would either not be allowed to login, or the currently logged in
user would have their session silently drop. After quite a bit of testing we
couldn't figure out what specific conditions might cause which response. It
was clear however that if the users logins were directed to different
servers that there was no problem. We tested this from several widely
seperated geographic locations, and did some simple sniffer work.

We also observed that two sessions on different systems could not be
established with the same user credentials if they were directed to the same
server. As in the previous example, either the second user would be unable
to log in, or the first user would have their session silently terminate.
Again if the login servers were different it was possible to authenticate
and establish communications from two different locations using the same
authentication information, however after a few minutes (or even seconds)
one of the sessions would be dropped. Also in this instance we could not
determine what factors affected the behavior of the drop (i.e. who was
dropped and when)

Overall I'd say using full AOL with PAT (port address translation, how most
firewalls do address trnaslatios) is a bad idea, but test it and see if it
works for you.

Chris Byrne