[SunRescue] Re: Help!

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 17:16:17 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:57:27PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> As with anything related to security (and how can a firewall not be?)
> "quick" cannot enter into the equation lest you set yourself up for a
> quick fall.
> "Any job worth doing is worth doing correctly the first time" isn't just
> a platitude when it's something related to security.

Yes, I know this.  In this case, *anything* is better than what they have
currently - an office full of machines, sitting STRAIGHT ON THE BARE
INTERNET, using Windows file and printer sharing as a "network".  No
firewall, nothing like that.

I'm going to setup the linux box, ipmasq/nat, put them behind it,
set it up so I can dork with it remotely, and then pound the hell out
of it from my home connection.

When I said "quick" I meant "I can get it setup and working properly
and definitely more secure than they have it now; and really batten
down the hatches once its in place".  The hard part is getting them
setup on the private network behind it, which really wont be hard at
all (just setup DHCP and ip forwarding...)

Luckily, the entire office is already using DHCP, but they're getting
the leases (for the public internet space) from their ISP.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net