[SunRescue] Q: about creator graphics cards...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 13:49:12 CDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

> If you want accelerated 2D in X, I.E you want windows to move around
> quickly, like in Windows 98 and the likes then all of those cards will
> perform almost identically. I found out the hard way when I went from PGX24
> to Elite3D M3. There was no noticeable X performance gains. Using an X

I disagree.  For many operations a UPA based framebuffer will be far
faster than a PCI based one.  In raw bitblitting I have measured a 700%
(that's 7x faster) improvement going from a PGX24 to an afblite.

For operations which cannot be efficiently batched, X overhead is the
dominant factor and framebuffer acceleration will not gain you much.

-James