[SunRescue] Speed of SS10 vs DEC 3000/300LX Alpha?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 17 17:29:48 CDT 2001

Out of curiosity, today, I was running a cvs source tree checkout,
i.e., a full system source pulldown from the cannonical archives via
the net, on what I was thinking were approximately identical machines.
One was a 36mhz SS10 with a VT100 terminal.  The other was a DEC Alpha
3000/300 at 125mhz, with a normal monitor.   The SS10 was running OpenBSD,
and the Alpha, NetBSD.  I started both out at the same time.  The lowly
SS10 outran the Alpha by some 50% or more in downloading a 360mb src tree.
Same tree on both machines (I use the Alpha for cdwriting since it has more
HD space).  Is the Alpha really that slow or the SS10 really that fast,
or is it something between NetBSD vs OpenBSD?

It would be interesting to find out where the bottleneck is in the Alpha.
It looked like the whole machine was just slow, e.g., disk access was slow
apparent ethernet speed is slower, screen function is slower.  The little
SS10 really surprised me.

Any insights or thoughts on the differences are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob