[SunRescue] [OT]: NeXTStep on SPARC/PA RISC

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 17 15:46:38 CDT 2001

The quake mini faq from 1996 (from just before the final version was out)
has this to say:
<quote>
There has been great debate on which platform QUAKE will arrive
first. There is no concrete information on this, but consider that
the development of QUAKE has been on NeXTStep and Linux systems.

The primary platform for QUAKE is likely to be DOS. There may be
ports to other platforrms such as the Macintosh and OS/2. id will also
port QUAKE to several Unix platforms. Although ddt has left id, he has
confirmed that he will be doing the Linux port for Quake. (Including
the Linux/Alpha port).

</quote>

That is the first I've heard of linux being a primary development platform
though.  Although, I heard that they had a DEC for doing builds, so maybe
that is what the faq is refering to.