[SunRescue] Re: [SunHELP] UTP/BNC/AUI Connector for 501-1869

Dale Ghent rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 17 14:09:37 CDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Ian Chilton wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I have an 501-1869, which has an SCSI and Ethernet connector on the
| back.
|
| The SCSI looks like a standard SCSI-II and the ethernet one looks the
| same as the SCSI but smaller, only 14 pins.
|
| Does anyone know where I can get hold of a _cheap_ connector to
| convert this to UTP/BNC/AUI to make it useful?

That's called a MII (Media Independant Interface). It was originally
designed so that you could connect an expternal tranceiver that would have
a fiber or twisted-pair socket on the other side. The concept was ok but
it never really took off. You mainly see this type of interface on Suns
and some Cisco gear.

Just search around for a MII tranceiver. you can probably find them.

/dale