[SunRescue] perl programmer help needed

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 15:32:46 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 02:52:26PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I need some help doing a Perl script to generate some HTML index
> files... if anybody can help with this, I'll gladly give them some of
> the spare hardware I have lying around. 8-)
>
> See http://www.mrbill.net/~mrbill/report/ for what I need to do.

Hi Bill,

To begin with,  I sure wouldn't implement it like this.

Instead, I would stuff all the info into a database running PostgreSQL
(www.postgresql.org) and then write a couple of scripts that queried the
database.  This would make it easier, faster, and if a new report was needed
you just have to write a new SQL query.

That is, assuming that you have access or you care about the underlying raw
data.

However to implement it given the situation you currently have...

create a directory listing and read it in
       (I assume you don't need to recurse directories)

set the record separator to be "_" (will need to do some quoting) and split
the filenames into a list or hash(s)

read the hash(s) and write the HTML

./patrick