[SunRescue] So I'm trying to get this Axil 220/245 "up", and I can't...

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 14:18:21 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, April 15, 2001 at 09:12:07 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] So I'm trying to get this Axil 220/245 "up", and I can't...
>

>   Is the cdrom drive terminated?  If so, try removing the terminator
> and trying again.
>
>   Yes, I know that sounds crazy, but I've run literally hundreds of Axil
> 245s...Their scsi busses are just a little bit quirky.

My understanding is that no Sun or Sun-compatible pizza-box machine
should ever have any termination on any *stub* SCSI connectors.
(i.e. the connectors intended for a short stub-length cable and a single
drive)

This is of course a different story for the newer machines with an
actual internal bus, especially the ones with SCA backplanes for the
internal disks....  Those absolutely require proper termination.

I don't know exactly what an Axil 220 looks like inside, but I've got a
320 running NetBSD happily here (though seems at least one stick of
memory I got for it from Memoryx long long ago doesn't work reliably --
but then I never tested it back when I got it, so I guess I'm SOL).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>