[SunRescue] OSX--

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 12:37:52 CDT 2001

Reagn wrote:
> Conscious choice of Jobs.  Remember, he hates legacy stuff.  Back in the
> NeXT days he made a claim of how Windows was braindead and X was
> braindamaged.

Just because it's old and braindamanged doesn't mean that lots of folks
still don't use it...

> You can run XFree and run in full-screen mode (but can switch between it
> and aqua), or you can buy a commercial rootless Xserver very similar to
> the old Pencom coXist product.

Hmmm, see, I want something which would add X server functionality and
be transparent-- you can have an X server in Windows and have an app
on a Sun or HP or whatever display back to your X server and have a MS-Word
window up right next to it. I have a big need to display other apps on my
laptop.

Ideally I'd love to me MS-free-- a G4 laptop w/ X server + OSX -- CLI gives
me ssh and other toys, gui-based PPP which we all know and love, classic
mode for those classic Mac apps, and X server for displaying things like
'hostview' or the clustertool consoletool stuff... or even SunMC stuff. Am
thinking a Mac version of StarOffice would be nice, too... and some clone
of Visio (Dia, or that other thing everyone keeps chatting about.)

The ability to 'ifconfig' on the fly is so under-rated.

-Jon