[SunRescue] G3 upgrade for PowerMac 7300

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 15 21:14:34 CDT 2001

On April 15, David Rouse wrote:
> If he's thinking what I'm thinking, the best upgrade for a 7300 would be the
> act of buying another computer. But hey, at least it isn't 7200 (The best
> way to accelerate a 7200 is a catapult). I just haven't had a lot of luck
> with CPU upgrades for Macs -- at least not the early power macs.
>
> If you do anything Bill, get a fast SCSI card and a new drive as well (or
> maybe first).

  Hmm...the 7200 is a pain, yes.  But the 7300 is a whole different
animal.  It's the same baseboard as the 7500/7600/8500/8600 etc etc
etc...the only difference between them are various sound and NTSC
video in/out options.

  I've used a LOT of those machines, and put a LOT of different CPUs in
them, with no problems whatsoever.  The important thing to remember is
that, with 3rd-party high-speed CPU upgrades, FOLLOW THE
MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS on setting the cpu & bus speeds.  You'll
be screwed if you don't, and likely wind up badmouthing one of Apple's
most stable designs on mailing lists. :)

  I'll agree that the *early* powermacs are a pain with regard to cpu
upgrades...but these machines aren't.  You just have to watch what
you're doing.

           -Dave McGuire