[SunRescue] So I'm trying to get this Axil 220/245 "up", and I can't...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 15 18:57:41 CDT 2001

Well, I saw both this and your follow-up post, and I can see that the RAM might be an issue, but I can't get to a Solaris CD image to "re-label" the HD in-place.

I'll try only 36 bit RAM (the second set of RAM was Sun barcoded, so I assume it was 33 bit, not 36 - but I have some Kingston RAM that says explicitly that it is 36 bit... We'll see).

The unit only has one HD - I guess I could try a different HD, but I would have to rip out the current HD...

Side-note: the 220/245 system has a floppy in place, I can swap it out and place a 1/3rd height HD, as the SCSI cable and power connectors are already in-place. Neat idea.

Side-side-note: The Tatung SS/20 clone I got from auction had narrow HDs installed, but the MB was built for F/W SCSI drives - they simply put a converter in the socket and ran a narrow cable off that. With the proper cable you could remove the adapter and use SCA drives W/O the $25 sled. That is a neat box.

Ken