[SunRescue] So I'm trying to get this Axil 220/245 "up", and I can't...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 15 14:46:25 CDT 2001

Wow, what a strange system - I tried various combinations of HD/CD/termination and no go...

Then I remembered that I used to have problems with the memory subsystem, so I took out all the LX RAM and plugged in two of the original SIMMs, 16 Meg each,and it booted right up.

I put in another two SIMMs, and the system halts/hangs before it starts to read the HD/boot the OS.

Oh, and now that it appears to be working, I am trying to get the machine to boot off the CD-ROM, but no go - it complains about a bad magic number on the drive/device.

Any additional thoughts on this?

An SS/5-85 with TurboGX+ (4 Meg) graphics and only 32 Megs of RAM is only so appealing, esp. seeing that I can not convieniently install another/later OS on the machine.

I'll work with it some more, maybe it is possible to upgrade from an installed Linux image...

This is crazy-making...

Ken