[SunRescue] So I'm trying to get this Axil 220/245 "up", and I can't...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 14 22:12:26 CDT 2001

Scenario:

Previously working Axil 245 workstation (SS/5-85 MHz "clone", w/72 pin RAM,
stacked SBUS) sat in my basement for a few years ( gawd, I can't belive
that...) and now won't boot.

On power up, probes memory, properly reports 96 Meg (6x16 Meg SIMMs from an
LX), then identifies all SBUS cards (integrated and optional/plug-in), then
it tests all the memory - all 96 megs test fine (one bank of 32 tested, then
remaining bank of 64 tested).

Then nothing.

What I tried:

I can stop-a the machine and probe-scsi (fine), printenv (fine), test
/memory (fine), test scsi (fine), but as soon as I issue a boot command
(boot disk, boot cdrom, or just boot) the machine just sits there...

The HD is a Micropolis 1 Gig HD, Mfg. in 1993 - I suspected that was
bad/questionable, so I removed the HD from the SCSI chain, same result. It
hangs when it tries to boot an OS.

**ANY** thoughts?

A short while ago I was unable to boot cdrom, but the machine booted an old
Red Hat Linux image (R5.2 Beta, IIRC) that was already on the HD.

Thanks in advance,

Ken