[SunRescue] SS10 Memory - sale/trade

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 13 18:02:31 CDT 2001

I don't know what you want from an SGI, but the indys have extremely
limited video options.  Personally, I'd go for an Indigo, or try and find
a cheap Indigo2.    Complete R4k indigo's seem to cost around $100 w/o
moniter.  Unless you know what you are doing, stay away from r3k systems
(they have a special place in my heart, but they aren't very practical).
If you totally don't care about video, then an Indy would be fine and easy
to aquire for under $100.  Monitors for newish SGIs (say, indy or
newer) seem to be holding some value which will make getting a monitor
included for $100 a bit harder.

BTW, from my experiences with an O2 running Irix 6.5 (the latest version),
you really want more than 64 megs of ram.  From my experiences with an
Onyx (running irix 6.2) with 128 megs, 128 is comfterble if you
aren't pushing the machine hard.

In general, I like SGIs if you want video, but if you spent your time in
xterms, then Solaris or linux is more pleasant.  I'd love to replace my
desktop machine with an SGI, but I wouldn't want to replace my file server
(linux) or firewall (openbsd, maybe.  Solaris maybe.  Still putting it
together) with an Irix machine.  But, that may just be personal
preference.

--
Joshua Boyd