[SunRescue] OT: HP 9000

Chris Petersen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 15:57:15 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 04:36:18PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> > James wrote:
> > > Ok, anyone want to toss a K220 into a nearby dumpster?
> >
> > I thought those were fairly high-end? Who'd toss 'em?
> >

> Some MCSE Weenie who thinks a PC running NT can do anything?  You
> know...those 1.2 trillion gigahertz pentiums are soooo much faster than
> the 132mhz PA-RISC chips.

At first I wanted to ROTFLMAO at this one, until I realized how true it
was...

Seriously, the data center here at work is rather large (being used for that
sort of thing since the early mainframe days).  It amazes me how *empty* the
formerly full rooms where when I got here 2.5 years ago, as they had just
finished decommisioning all the old frames and upgrading to 2 Generation 4
IBMs.  Now, 2.5 years later, the old data center is bulging full again and
they've run out of IPs in one of the data center's 2 class C's.  Guess why?

All the new shiny Compaq Proliants they've put in in that time frame.  There
must be at least 80 some NT boxes in the data center and they're adding them
all the time.  Grr...

The new, fresh out of school Unix Junior admin was trying to convince people
in his group (of which another section is responsible for said NT) that they
could cut back sooo much on all the NTs if they'd just look at consolidating
the basic services on a bigger HP.  No wonder server consolidation's been so
hot in the past year or so...

At least the new green recruit appreciates the irony of the situation.
There's some hope for the future, I suppose...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net