[SunRescue] OT: HP 9000

Chris Petersen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 14:40:40 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:54:56AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>
> > Robert you Aussie devil! What a sweet machine!
> >
> > SO how does a D with a 132 MHz PA 7300 stack up? Got one of these from an
>
> Sounds like a D132 to me, oddly enough.  1MB L2 cache.  About Ultra-1
> speed though it may well have better I/O performance.

Actually, I think the nomenclature was a D130?  (i.e. predecessor to the
D230/D330 series boxes).  We've got a few of those here.  SCSI is FNSE by
default, unless you've got the upgraded FWD controller, which I think he
said he has.

The I/O's pretty good, although those FWD controllers really start slouching
these days against even a good UW controller from what I've seen.

> Ok, anyone want to toss a K220 into a nearby dumpster?

Nah, convince them to dump a K420 or K570 :)

Seriously, the K's will start coming out of service soon.  The new L &
N-class hardware seriously outclass the old D & K stuff by orders of
magnitude, and the costs aren't horrible.  In fact, even though HP still
sells D, R, & K (mostly to 10.20 diehard customers), they tend to run $2-3k
more than a similarly configured L or N with at least a factor of 2
disadvantage in I/O & Processor speed.

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Industry Services, Unigraphics Solutions Inc.
Email: havoc at apk.net