[SunRescue] OT: HP 9000

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 12 08:47:02 CDT 2001

Hi all, apologies for the off-topic-ness of this post...

I've managed to get an HP 9000 D-class server (D280, 1 CPU) from the local
auctions for approx. $US250.  It looks like it's got 128Mb RAM, CD-Rom,
DDS3 but no disks :(

Some questions for the non-sun purists out there:
1. Am I insane?  Did I get ripped off?
2. Will I need any special cables to attach a wyse term as a console?
3. Is it going to be expensive to get HP-sUX for it?  Is it worthwhile
attempting to purchase a license from HP, or am I best off reselling the
box (provided it works) since there seems to be a distinct lack of NetBSD
or (ugh!) Linux support.
4. If I do get this thing going, any ideas on how fast / useful / fun it's
going to be?  As a comparison, I consider my Sparc 10/512 both fast and
useful and my Indy fun.

Thanks for any input, apologies again for the OT and now to resume our
scheduled program....

Does anyone know if the Netra X1 has 2 ide busses available for the
internal devices?  I've had some awful problems with several Ultra 10s
recently, they've all had a disk die and both disks are on the same IDE
channel.  For those that are lucky enough to never experience this, the
result is that both disks disappear from a probe-ide and it's a guess as to
which one is dead.

cheers,

Rob.