[SunRescue] SS2 and OS

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 17:50:37 CDT 2001

Simeon Johnston <simeonuj at eetc.com>

> I have a few other questions.  Thank you for responding all.
> Will the SS2 boot from cdrom?  I can get a cdrom that boots a SS10.

Yes it will.  It does need a Sun-compatible CD-ROM drive - many of the
drives on sale, even SCSI ones, are not suitable - but you seem to be
OK in that regard.

To boot from the CD, you need to get to the PROM console (hit L1 and A
together) and type "boot cdrom".

> Does the SS2 take a standard floppy?  Can I take one from a x86 machine
> and use it?

I don't believe you can, but then, why would you want to?  Floppies
really do blow goats.  You don't need a floppy for booting, and you have
the network for getting files on and off the machine.

> Will the SS2 console port plug strait into a mac?

I assume it'll work if you have the right dongles.  If you're using one
of those USB-to-serial adapters on the Mac and can get it to work, I'd
love to know how :-)

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **