[SunRescue] Xyplex MAXserver 1608 Terminal Servers

Jeff Workman rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 05:00:36 CDT 2001

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as John Duksta exclaimed:

> One hitch with them, tho'. If you're going to be using them
> for console access to your Sun boxen, make sure that you change
> the 'break' character to something other than break. Like most
> terminal servers, when you kill/lose power to it, as the serial
> controller chip powers down, it can often send a break which
> will halt your Sun.

Anybody have any idea how to do this?  For this is *exactly* my intended
purpose.

> Also, you're going to learn to hate that DEC-like command syntax:
> "set port 2 flow-control rts-cts on"

Yes!  The CLI is HORRID!!  I suppose these things were made back before
everybody had decided to make their syntax "IOS-like."[1]  Even if they had
a syntax similar to Livingston PortMasters it would be a vast improvement.
The ULI doesn't seem to be very Unix-like, either, with maybe the exception
of "ifconfig -a."

Maybe somebody will port NetBSD to one of these things.  I mean,  what is
it that they say "Of course it runs NetBSD!"

Jeff

[1]  Which, isn't a bad idea, for all of my complaints about Cisco
products, their CLI is probably the best of any NOS out there.

--
"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.