[SunRescue] RE: starter system (future purchase)

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 18:37:40 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, James Lockwood wrote:

> U5's are probably the cheapest "ghetto fileservers"  around.  PCI UW SCSI
> cards are very cheap for the bandwidth and number of devices which can be
> attached.

It seems to me that stripped scsi in a good SS/10, SS/20, or Ultra 1
should be able to serve several 100mbit network segments easily.  I get
this from running the numbers of what sbus should be able to provide (it
is 32bit at 25mhz right?).

Now, I know SCSI isn't cheap, but with the Ultra 5s you are pretty
limitted as to how many IDE drives you can add (a max of 2 isn't it?).
I've also heard around usenet that the Ultra 5s are limited in what size
IDE drive they can take.  And once you max out IDE on an Ultra 5, you are
back to scsi, so you might as well have saved your cash and gotten the
cheaper machine.

Are there any major flaws here?

--
Joshua Boyd