SEMI-COMMERCIAL: Re: Racks at home (was Re: [SunRescue] Computer pics, also that 6-DDS2 tape changer)

Dan Lane rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 16:50:47 CDT 2001

Dave Reader sent the following on Tue, 10 Apr 2001...

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Dan Lane wrote:
>
> > Am I the only person who doesn't have a rack in their home?
>
> nope. i havent yet, but i might be temoted to get one.
>
> I know that www.distel.co.uk have 2nd-user racks (with filtered/rccb'd
> pdus!) for a couple hundred or so.... anyone (UK) know anywhere better?

I am hoping to get mine from a friend who runs the London Linux User
Group (www.lonix.org) for under 100UKP

> > Dan - having fun with ACARD SCSIDE bridges!
>
> umn.. if thats what i think it is, where did you get them? are there more?
> they connect ide devices to scsi buses, yes?

Yeah, I am about to get all commercial here so beware, and sorry bill!

The company I work for is starting an online hardware shop (which is why I
have, overnight, gone from being a Sysadmin to a PHP developer) we have
some deals with a load of companies to sell their wares in the uk,
companies like Minuteman and (tada) ACARD, who make these nifty bridges
that (yup, you guessed it!) allow you to connect a standard IDE drive to a
SCSI interface... I bought a pile of acard stuff home at the weekend and
moved my desktop windows machine over to SCSIDE (its what acard like to
call it) but I spent the weekend playing Black & White so I didn't get a
chance to try it in any Sun equipment... I am putting a bridge and a 9Gb
IDE drive in an IPC tonight... results to be posted soon :)

If your interested in buying the bridges, drop me an e-mail off list, I
think the bridges are 50UKP each, and remember that they do need to take
power using a floppy connector :)

-Dan