[SunRescue] RE: starter system (future purchase)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 15:35:35 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> If a new user has $1000 in their pocket to buy a machine, if they
> don't get a low-end Ultra 2 (nicely equipped w/plenty of RAM and HD),
> my advice would be to get a *new* box and start with a current system.

I agree 100%.  My contention was with the appropriate choice for someone
with $500-600 in their pocket.  U5/270's with RAM are in this neighborhood
now.  I don't see many low-end U2's at that price for the exact reasons
you listed, they tend to hold their value too well (and are the fastest
choice for desktop SBus).

U5's are probably the cheapest "ghetto fileservers"  around.  PCI UW SCSI
cards are very cheap for the bandwidth and number of devices which can be
attached.

-James