[SunRescue] RE: starter system (future purchase)

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 12:48:13 CDT 2001

Matthew Haas wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
> >
> > Up to $200 (not incl. monitor) - Look for a nice, low-end SS/20 (w/64
> > Meg RAM) and an SM*1 CPU (something that can be mated for SMP, like an
> > SM41, SM51, SM61, etc.).
> >

> My first question is: Where can one find such a beasty?

May I also put in a plug for the SS10?

eBay sellers seem to sell several SS10's and SS20's per week in the $200-300
range depending on memory and CPU module(s).  I invested about $400 putting
together an SS10 with two SM51 CPU's, 96M RAM, GX framebuffer, 6G of HD,
external CD, keyboard, mouse, and speakerbox.

> > Up to $300 (not incl. monitor) - either a nice SMP SS/20 (w/128 Meg
> > RAM) or a nice SS/5-170 (w/64 Meg RAM).
> >

> Next question: I just want to get things straight in my mind-- all SS20s
> are SMP capable, right? There isn't a lite and deluxe model, correct? (If
> I get A SS20, it's just as capable as any other SS20?)

All SS20's and SS10's have two MBUS slots for CPU modules.  A module can
contain one or two CPUs.

Visit the Rough Guide to MBUS modules at sunhelp for details about what CPU
modules can work in what systems.

> And what is the difference in a SS20 and SS20SX?

I don't think there was a SS20SX, unless that is a SS20 bundled with a VSIMM
(video memory).  The SS10SX was a variant of the SS10 that contained part of a
color framebuffer on the motherboard, which required the addition of a VSIMM
to be complete.  All SS20's have this video circuitry like the SS10SX,
similarly requiring the VSIMM.

-- SP