[SunRescue] Period OS on old hardware

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 10:19:00 CDT 2001

> > What do people here feel about running "period" software on their
> > collection?
>
> I like it.

Mee Too.

> > ie: do you run NetBSD on old machines, or the OS it originally came
> > with?
>
> I try to keep a copy of the 'best' release of the old OS for the
> hardware, within reason, but I don't always run it.  I definately want
> the capability to do so, though.  If I only have one, I'll likely run
> NetBSD or whatever.  If I have two, one will run something more modern,
> one will run the original software.

Well, it depends upon how good your toolkit is.  Stock OS's don't
fare well today, such as SunOS 3.5 or 4.1, until you flesh them out
with your sysadmin addin toolkit.  For me that is around 100mb of
minimal junk, to make them ``comfortable''.

If you can roll that toolkit, then for home use, the old OS is fine.
I would NOT put it up on the Inet as a full time server box, on the old
OS, though, for obvious security reasons.

My toolkit starts with 1) gzip, 2) gmake, 3) postscript drivers for
troff (psroff3), then TeX and company (my own port).  After that, a
gcc is usually good, and I use 1.4.2 to do a 2.5.8.  Apache runs fine
on the old boxes, and is good as a low-end webtoy.  X is a problem
if ram is short, but doable.  A mosaic port will often do for a browser,
or lynx.  The rest is up to you.

> When you restore an old All-American-Five tube radio or the like, it's
> nifty when you put the new caps inside the old canisters.  That way it
> looks just like it did when it was original.  When you have an antique
> car, you want matching numbers, right?  I think it's the same idea.

It is quite similar, and for simple things, the old OS can do fine, with
some addins.  Otherwise, use NetBSD or OpenBSD.

Bob