[SunRescue] Old machines

Kenneth Dunn rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 10 05:50:22 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Tomorrow I'm off to pick up an Alpha Server 1000a (192MB core,  8GB
disk total) minus monitor and software for $NZ750 (about $US325). I found
a link to a Compaq web page that listed refurbished Alphas and the AS
1000a was listed as costing between $US4000-9000 depending on
configuration. I think this includes OpenVMS + 1 year warranty. So it
appears that I've got a good deal (fingers crossed).

If all goes well with the Alpha I plan to look for a basic Sparc at a
later date. I want to learn the basics of Solaris administration but not
sure what sort of machine I should be looking for. If I happen to be in
the right place at the right time and be in a position to buy a used
Sparc what should I look for ? Yeh I could just get Solaris 8 and run it
on my AMD based PC but that wouldn't be the same.

PS. anyone know of a good OpenVMS mailing list for beginners ?

--
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt