[SunRescue] Re: Multiprocessor intel boards

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 23:21:55 CDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, jcarver wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I think you hit the nail on the head. I've gotten several Compaq's and
> Intergraph servers from work because the power supplies are shot. re-
> placements are in the $350-$500 neighborhood. Co. figured it wasn't
> worth the money for machines that were expensed out already.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. My quad 486 AcerFrame also has a custom power
supply that did not show up on the web--had what looked a couple of AT and
a couple of ATX connectors and a LOT of eisa slots (I like EISA, even if
the config files are a pain to find). I'll probably take the proliant to
the next swap meet I sell at. If I could excavate the Acerframe I might
take it too.

> While they are not quad boards the Micron's mentioned awhile back are
> excellent dual Proc. boards and 32 meg Sun enterprise Dimm's are
> cheap. Also they use standard VRM's.

Yep, I learned that a while back... one of my first great ebay wins was a
W6Li... I have a couple of W6Li and a pr440fx or two, and I have plenty of
chips and lots of dimms for them. Too bad they only take four dimms each.
I remember my 16x30pin 486 board, and of course the 64x30pin 600MP
expansion board. 64 32meg dimms, mmm.

--Rob (off to ebay to look for some more MP boards. whee.)

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows