[SunRescue] OT: FS: SGI Crimson RE

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 21:55:37 CDT 2001

> along, and ReiserFS is available here and now (a friend is currently
> setting up a quad xeon server with a 300gig raid 5 array using RFS).
> Good ccNuma support probably won't arrive till 2.6 or 3.0, but that mainly
> only applies to people running super computers or Onyx2, which nobody has
> discuss running linux on yet.

Actually this is more along the lines of support of SGI hardware, but have you ever compared file I/o performance between machines. There is PCI-64 and then there are the SGI buses. A "cheap" Octane can take fiber optic and can pipe in +270 MB/s and also pump out 240 m/pixels a second from the graphics subsystem, at the same time. That is pretty insane. That means a decked out Octane can do uncompressed HDTV with the right applications. Now that is an *Octane*, the Onyx2 is absolutely insane in this regard. PCs are just very, very, far behind in I/O..

> Ext2fs is no longer the only option. Houdini and Shake have been ported.
> They don't cost more than a house, but they do cost more than a car.  They
> mainly support HP linux machines to my understanding.  See my notes on HPs
> below.

Shake's new system, Tremor, runs as a turnkey system on HP machines.

I was not talking about Shake and Houdini, which I and others consider rather low-end in the scheme of things. Shake is non-hardware-accelerated, but is quite nice, but only ("only") costs $10,000, same as Chalice, which has a totally crap interface if you ask me, but I'm drifting off topic.

I was referring to Discreet Logic and IFX products. Yes, they get quite expensive.

> While Linux has a long way to go to match SGI

yes

> although Geforces are the cards of choice for the SGI linux machines.  I'm concerned about the fact that the Geforce drivers are binary only though.  Back under XFree 3.3.x, binary only drivers...

Hm... i'll say it again..Linux OpenGL drivers are a joke compared to native SGI on IRIX.

> I disagree.  SGIs are too expensive.  600..

$600? 600 for a well made, reliable, butt-kicking machine? I'd pay it. You don't got replace them and service them every month.

> machines aren't as flexible as the Onyx2s are.  I don't know if they even
> support 48bit color.  But they do at least finally offer professional
> level 3D performance.

Onyx2 spanks HP. Look at the actual performance measurments. HP is just a better price point. So is most everything else, but you pay for SGI and SGI delivers.

-- Aaron Finley