[SunRescue] Multiprocessor intel boards (hate to interrupt the flamewar)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 18:48:49 CDT 2001

I hate to interrupt the little flamewar about Linux with a question that
might actually be worth the bandwidth... okay, I actually like to, but it
sounds more deferential to the people wasting my diskspace with Irix and
Linux holy wars to say it the former way...

Someone wrote:

> > Linux is known not to scale well on SMP systems - this might come as a
> > suprise to you, but not many Linux developers have 32way machines at their
> > disposal to test with! .. 2.4 is better, and improvements will continue to
> > be made. Why does that upset you so much?

Does anyone have real life experience or recommended resources for getting
Intel architecture motherboards that take more than two processors? I have
a Compaq quad pentium pro system that requires a handful of VRM-type
modules (and it's not worth $200+ to find out if it works), and a quad
486 box with a dead power supply.

I'd rather find something more conventional with 4 processors... can be
Socket 5, Socket 7, Socket 8, Slot 1, PGA370... I suspect anything >2 cpu
will require special power supplies, but a guy can hope, right?

--Rob (who chuckled when he saw the SunBlade 100 had a PGA370 socketed
processor along with the pretty PC colored ports )

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows