[SunRescue] Cheap big iron

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 15:19:52 CDT 2001

On Friday 06 April 2001 19:48, you wrote:
> On Friday, April 6, 2001 at 16:19:44 (+0100), Mike Meredith wrote:
> > > Dynix is based on BSD4.2
> >
> > Really ?!?
> >
> > The version of Dynix we ran definitely liked to announce itself as
> > SVR3, and definitely had that sort of flavour. It's possible that
> > earlier versions were BSD-based though.
>
> Perhaps Dynix was dual-universe -- I get confused about all the old
> dual-universe systems there were out there.

I don't remember any signs of it (although I'll admit that I wasn't
looking --- looking after the Sequents wasn't really my job, just
something I did when others weren't available). How many dual-universe
Unixes were there ? I can only remember Pyramid's OSX (?).

Someone else has mentioned that Dynix *was* BSD based, and Dynix/PTX
was SvR[34] based. Certainly the Dynix/PTX version I worked with was
SvR3 based, but perhaps later ones were SvR4 based (and quite possibly
wouldn't work on older h/w).