[SunRescue] RE: mainframes in our midst...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 6 09:50:50 CDT 2001

Jon,

Don't spend too much time poking fun at the mainframe fellow - DB2 is not an old-fashioned DB by any stretch of the imagination, VM/ESA is a very good, solid operating environment, that enabled multiple OSs to run on one processor complex (in the mainframe world, CPU maps to a box the size of a commercial refrigerator) at the same time (and PR/SM allows you to run multiple machine code levels ont he same machine, allowing you to try out new microcode for the CPU without needing a "test" machine, all you need is a test "partition"), and CICS, is well, quite efficient.

I've worked with all of these products, and find them amazing. The mainframe can do things that are simply absurd on the departmental server level, and the overhaed involved in working in a mainframe environment is equally absurd for a departmental server. Each has it's place.

The Ford F-150 pickup is a great truck, and a dozen or so can do much of the work that one of those big site-built dump trucks do in quarries and mines, but there is not much point in comparing the two, except for humor (how many F-150's will fit in the dumper? How many tires from the site-built will fit in the F-150 bed?).

The E10K is a mainframe, running a near-mainframe level OS, IMHO. I am not slamming Solaris by any stretch, it is on course to reach mainframe-quality soon.

BTW - is Sun Mainframe-free yet? ;^)

Ken