[SunRescue] Serial Port Pinouts

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 15:02:19 CDT 2001

> Earlier today someone was asking about the pin-out for the combined A/B
> serial ports. After deleting that message, I remembered the obvious
> place to look for that information: www.sunhelp.org!!!  Specifically:
>
>     <http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/sunref2.html>
>
> In general, a "normal" cable will let you use the A-port.  You are
> usually better off with the correct splitter though, as inadvertently
> connecting strange things to the B-port can cause no end of grief.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.

It will use 1-8+20 or the low RS232 pins.  But, for ease, I can wire
up a cable with 2/3/7 and hardware 4+5 and 6+8+20, or a standard
3 wire cable.  I still have a number of those from the old days.

Normal is a misnomer.  Normal is the full 25, and that would not work
well on the dual port thing.

Back when I was running 300 port pentel hubs in the 80's, we always
used 3 wire hookups, and it always worked.  Since Sun did not appear
to do much to the actual pinout conventions for the low RS232, it
should still work fine, as long has hardwired handshake does not
present any problems in software.  At 9600 baud, I would not expect
it to.

Now to dig out or patch up a cable, and try the SS10 on serial console.

Thanks

Bob