[SunRescue] Silly SS10... continued....

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 14:52:28 CDT 2001

> > > If you pull kbd/mouse, it will come up using ttya as console.
> >
> > OK, that is simple enough.  The combined A/B RS-232 port out the
> > back.... I am assuming the ttya uses the low 7 pins?  My VAX dongles
> > only use the low pins to the VT320 via mmj.  If it needs differently
> > than that, I will have to patch up a cable and drag the Wyse out of
> > storage.
>
> I don't know exactly what you mean by "the low 7 pins", but if you hook
> a normal cable up to it, it'll work as the A port.  You need a splitter
> to get both.  I happen to have gotten one for my Sparc 10, but I
> might be able to get a couple more if people need them.

As I remember RS232 from the old days.... pins 2/3/7 constitute the
minimum, but some things use a full 1-7 plus 8 and 20, and that leaves
the rest for the second port (I don't have the sun pinout but need to
look that up).  What I was wondering was if it needed high pins for
handshake.  Usually 4+5, 6+8+20, wire up the handshake.  A normal
cable could be all 25, which a dual port might not like very well.
I usually use 2/3/7 only with hardwired handshake on all my terminals
that are not mmj DEC stuff.  I will search around for the pinout on
the A/B port of the SS10 and wire up a special cable.

I would hate to blow anything, even on dumpster fodder machines.

Thanks

Bob