[SunRescue] Silly SS10... continued....

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 10:04:10 CDT 2001

Well, the SS10 machine seems to be somewhat less that optimal, but
hey, we dumpster divers can't be too choosey.  First, the floppy
ist kaput, but I have the floppy out of the SS4 haywired into it
(the mount screws from the SS10 floppy are metric, while the mount
screws from the SS4 floppy are US, so the mount hardware won't mate).
Next, my sun 411 cdrom died.  But, on a lark, I tried a forlorn old
Apple cdrom I have been hanging onto for sparc OpenBSD/NetBSD installs,
which normally won't work for Solaris/SunOS installs, and Yeah! it works
on Solaris 8... neat.  Anyway, the video seems kaput, too.  The monitor
is either going bellyup or the GX maybe, not sure yet.  The monitor blanks
green, then magenta, then sometimes normal full color.  It is now doing
a Solaris 8 install, and I don't want to stop it, in midstream.  But,
I probably want to yank the monitor and GX and run the SS10 off a tty,
since its main use will be as a small server, with the SS5 as the
workstation.

Once Solaris 8 is installed, off the usual monitor/keyboard, how does
one correctly get it to come up off just a tty (e.g., my VAX VT320)?
Will it come up correctly by just pulling the video/keyboard/mouse,
or does it require some configgy pudding twiddling, or does it require
a full reinstall off a tty?

Any insights, etc., are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob