[SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 13:47:59 CDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> It seems to me that hydrogen cars and motorcycles would be a much more
> satisfactory "green" solution than regular old electric cars, especially
> to people who like performance.

Not necessarily.  Storage is still the showstopper, with the best progress
being made with organometallic hydrides.  Propane, CNG and methanol all
possess better storage and reasonably good combustion characteristics.

> companies interested in rolling out hydrogen fleet vehicles.  In the US
> there are a number of bus companies that use hydrogen.

For short haul applications.  You cannot get any kind of reasonable range
using compressed H2 in a tank.

No.  The only exception that comes to mind is a dead catalytic converter.
Remember that emissions testing equipment does not usually measure NOx,
and only recently have some areas started testing emissions under load
with a dyno.  Altering ignition advance mechanisms may increase milage
slightly and even decrease CO and HC, but will sharply increase NOx.

Could we get any more off-topic here?  Maybe if I started talking about
embedded SPARC processors in automotive applications?

-James