[SunRescue] Anyone else here hate Perl?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 07:45:35 CDT 2001

I studied Perl, and to this former COBOL programmer, it was a mess, maybe
even the anti-COBOL (not that thst is neccessarily a bad thing...)

Poorly written Perl code looks like a poorly formatted UUENCODED file, and
cleanly written Perl code with useful valiable names, comments, etc. looks
(to me) like assembler code.

Perl is amazingly powerful, the EMACS of scripting languages, if you will,
but I will always remain a vi devotee (mainly because I only can think of
about 8 - 10 things I want to do with a text file while I am editing it, and
I know all the keyboard shortcuts for those 8 - 10 actions).

Hey, at least I am honest about it... ;^)

Now Java, well, I haven't quite made it over the learning curve, once/if I
do, it looks very nice...

But for now, my simple needs are met with PHP/MySQL/HTML, all hand coded in
vi/vim (depending on the platform).

Ken