[SunRescue] Anyone else here hate Perl?

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 06:55:25 CDT 2001

I think my main problem with perl is the bloat. It has grown and extended
far beyond what it's original goals were. Normally this isn't a bad thing,
but that growth has been very convoluted and , from my perspective, poorly
managed.

That said, it still doesn't condemn the language as a whole. It just
encourages uses for which it is entirely unsuited, such as writing an entire
multi-thousand line application with another entire multi-thousand line GUI.
These could generally be much more efficiiently programmed in C or Java.

One good thing it has done is gotten a lot of people into coding. Of course
the flip side of that is, as several people have mentioned, the tendency for
those same people to want to do everything in perl.

Perl is and always will be at it's heart a regular experession based, string
oriented scripting language, and any attempt to use it for something else is
probably inefficient at best, and nightmarish at worst.

Chris Byrne
The eyes may be the windows on the soul
But the word is the doorway to the mind