[SunRescue] *Almost* on topic (at least it's computer related)

Jeff Workman rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 02:47:50 CDT 2001

OK I should probably clarify that it doesn't blink an 888, but that's the
last thing it displays before the box goes belly-up, with belly-up being
defined as completely powering off and the power light going out as well.

I've been rather busy since I first posted this so I haven't had a chance
to  follow the advice of disconnecting all of the hard drives.   I fear,
however, that the ps in this beast is toast.   Anybody out there got a
spare?

Jeff

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Kevin Loch exclaimed:

> Jeff Workman wrote:
>>
>> Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Kevin Loch
>> exclaimed:
>>
>> > I'm not sure about that model (sound old) but Current
>> > RS/6000 Model F80 will spin all fans at max for a
>> > second and then turn them off.  The total POST
>> > takes about 3 minutes (!) at which time things
>> > start happening.
>>
>> The status display shouldn't go completely out though, right?
>>
>> Sometimes, it'll flash an 888 then quit.
>>
>> Other times, it'll be 888, 120, then 122 (i think), then 888 then blank.
>>
>> I know the PowerStation 250 doesn't ever go completely blank.
>>
>> Jeff

> flashing 888 means it's toast.  Well, not exactly, but that's
> what it does when a working system crashes hard.  A power
> cycle usually fixes it.
>
> KL

"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.