[SunRescue] OT: CA: It's Our Turn

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 02:17:41 CDT 2001

>Oh, and let me just fill in with:
>
>VAX 11/750 - Volvo 745
>
>:-)

You are 100% correct there Bjorn. I think the VAX to volvo comparison is
most appropriate.

Both are

Safe
boxy
Reliable
High quality
relativley large
Expensive (at least originally)
Expensive to maintain, but unlikely to need maintenance
Relativley Boring (as compared to say, a Cray or a Porsche)
Relativley Boring (as compared to say, a Cray or a Porsche)
Most often seen in the color beige, or some variation thereof
Manufactured in relativley small numbers, but with a pretty good survival
rate
Tend to be purchased in greater proportion by college graduates than by
non-grads

It's actually pretty surprising how apt the comparison is ;-)

Whereas my U60 is probably aptly compared to say, a BMW 540is

Safe
Reliable
Boxy, but still stylish (personally I love it)
Relativley large (for a mid tower size machine)
Very fast within it's class (mid range workstations)
expensive to maintain, but unlikely to need much maintenance
Very expensive, at least originally. Perhaps even overpriced
Rewarding to the user who likes total control of their system
Plenty or room inside, but not much in the way of trunk space or expansion
space
Very comfortable for a small to mid sized user base, or one or two very
large users

Chris Byrne --> with dreams of M3 vs. 330xi vs. S4 running through his head
;-)