[SunRescue] SS4/SS5/SS10 compatibility?

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 01:20:23 CDT 2001

I've had experience with some of these machines and from what I can
tell, I can't agree totally with Dave McGuire on all points in this
discussion.
Looking at the official peak integer and floating point calculation rate
specs:

CINT95 Rates:
SPARCstation 4/110 & 5/110    1.59
SPARCstation 5 Model 170      3.53
SPARCstation 10 Model 40      1.13
SPARCstation 20 Model 71      3.11

CFP95 Rates:
SPARCstation 4/110 & 5/110    1.99
SPARCstation 5 Model 170      3.00
SPARCstation 10 Model 40      1.38
SPARCstation 20 Model 71      3.10

The FMI TurboSPARC was designed to do integer-based performance,
day-to-day usual application tasks. (Noone seriously want to render
complex scenes on a low-end SPARCstation)

Of course many factors depend on the overall speed and "feel" on the
machine, but with pure numbercrunching these can compete with eachother.
Put to count the built-in SX on the SS20, dual-Mbus, an extra Sbus-slot
and all that.
This is, of-course, uni-processor. A dual-cpu SS20-712 would definitly
beat a SS5/170 in CINT-rates.
I'd say, if it's filled with enough RAM, go for the SS5/170. If you want
SX (24-bit) capability, more Sbus, MP-capability, go for the SS20.

/Bjorn