[SunRescue] Anyone else here hate Perl?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 4 00:57:10 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, April 3, 2001 at 17:09:30 (-0700), Chris Byrne wrote: ]
> Subject: [SunRescue] Anyone else here hate Perl?
>
> I absolutely hate Perl.

Me too!  (though not as much as I hate csh -- I've finally created my
own personal NetBSD distribution with csh totally erradicated from every
corner of it!)

However that said I do like Ruby a fair bit and it borrows heavily from
Perl.

(I don't really like python that much -- I'd rather use scheme)

> Now don't get me wrong, I like the power and flexibility, but I just think
> they have taken perl way to far. It started out as a relativley simple
> replacement for awk, sed, and sh scripting, and it's still very good at
> that, but people are now writing full applications in perl with GUI's etc...

The most silly thing about all that is that those things, awk and sed in
particular, just did not need replacing!

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>