[SunRescue] Cooling in SS4/SS5/SS10?

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 19:26:00 CDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 06:57:57PM -0400, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> compared to SunOS, the old fashioned way.  Startup was slow as molasses.

I believe a lot of stuff is turned on by default (server daemons,
etc.) Kill em or disable in the appropriate startup files.

> In Sol8, which is the preferred windowz environment, Openwindows or
> CDE, and why one or the other?
>
> Is there a way to bring root up in a cmdline environment rather than
> a windowz environment?  It seems to default to CDE.  Old cmdline habits
> die hard.

Read the dtlogin man page.  I believe the command to disable it from starting on boot is

/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -d

but it has been a few years since I played with CDE (xig.com version)

Note: the "ttdb{whatever}" daemons that CDE uses to communicate
between processes tend to use a lot of RAM and are big security holes
(IMHO).  So turning off CDE keeps these from starting too.

> Are there any online pdf manuals for SS4, SS5 or SS10 machines that
> I should dump to a printer?  FEH sheets might be nice to have handy.

If not, check out the html2ps or html2pdf utilities (part of the
HTMLDOC package I think).  Then pull down the web pages you want using
the wget utility and rip a PDF from it.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net