[SunRescue] Cooling in SS4/SS5/SS10?

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 19:03:58 CDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:

> In Sol8, which is the preferred windowz environment, Openwindows or
> CDE, and why one or the other?

Whatever you like.  If you prefer another window manager (twm, fvwm, etc)
then you can run that instead.

> Is there a way to bring root up in a cmdline environment rather than
> a windowz environment?  It seems to default to CDE.  Old cmdline habits
> die hard.

There's a menu on the login screen for a command line login (as well as a
minimal X failsafe login).  man dtconfig for info on disabling the graphic
login screen entirely.

> Is 64mb or 80mb of ram sufficient to be happy, or should I try to find
> sticks to load it up to 128mb or 256mb?

Depends on what you're doing.  I would want more running netscape, Frame
and SDRC IDEAS at one time but for a web browser and a pile of xterms
you'll be fine.

> Are there any online pdf manuals for SS4, SS5 or SS10 machines that
> I should dump to a printer?  FEH sheets might be nice to have handy.

There's some minimal stuff at docs.sun.com.  What are you looking for?

-James