[SunRescue] Sol8 install on sparc?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 17:37:11 CDT 2001

> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
>
> > The SS5 has successfully installed CD1, and is chomping on CD2.

Now chomping on CD3 the languages CD.  That answers my earlier question
as to whether or not it will call up all the CD's, automatically....
it does.

> > It is not ejecting CD's well, though.  I will have to check on the
> > platter slide alignment when the install is done.  Anything on that
> > CDrom I should investigate for slow ejects?  The door only opens
> > about half an inch on eject, and I have to pull it out manually,
> > and reinsert manually.  I was not expecting it to be that way.
>
> This is normal if you've got the 1/3rd height Toshiba 2x (blue faceplate).

OK, I was expecting a little more eject than that.  If that is relatively
normal, fine.  It is the blue faceplate thing.

> The Solaris 2.x kernel is scaled dynamically.  The kernel tunes itself
> based (primarily) on the size of installed memory.  Provided you have a
> reasonable amount of memory (64MB+) the default behaviour works very well.
> I recommend a copy of "Sun Performance and Tuning" (IIRC) by Adrian
> Cockroft, it's a useful tool for the library of any Solaris admin.

I'll check that out.  Thanks for the pointer.

Bob