[SunRescue] Sol8 install on sparc?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 16:59:37 CDT 2001

> > Is there a sol8 install manual pdf somewhere that I ought to dump first?
>
> Try docs.sun.com:
>
> http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.214.7/

Beautiful!  Exactly what the sun3/4 freak needed to get .... ``modern''....

> You probably want the Installation guide and Advanced Installation guide,
> all are available in PDF format.

Yup.. can't really function without a bit of printed treefarm toilet roll.

> Good luck, I remember well when I made the leap in 1995.  It was painful
> at the time but well worth it in the end.

I need to make the leap, now, since the machines are coming up in surplus
around MooU.

Here at MooU in the ag dept, we peripheral computer geeks are not
sufficiently well heeled to chase sungear.  Everyone except me is in
the pointy/clicky crowd.  It is even mandated that I keep an NT crate
on the desk, for email.  My server farm here is mostly the ugliest
of the ugly castoff rejects..... at a couple bucks a chassis out the
back end of the surplus pit feeding frenzy, each week.  So, when I
saw the chance of rounding up the ss4/ss5/ss10, I jumped.... well
ahead of the sharks feeding in the pit.  Yeah, I know, that is chicken
feed to youse big dawgs on the Enterprise boxes, but what the heck,
someone has to drag up the bottom of the pile....(:+}}.....

The SS5 has successfully installed CD1, and is chomping on CD2.
It is not ejecting CD's well, though.  I will have to check on the
platter slide alignment when the install is done.  Anything on that
CDrom I should investigate for slow ejects?  The door only opens
about half an inch on eject, and I have to pull it out manually,
and reinsert manually.  I was not expecting it to be that way.
It feels a bit like something is binding.

On the SS10 server end... how many users does the stock sol8 freebie
install come up with, and will it work in server mode sufficiently
well to serve web pages and how many concurrent users?  IFF it is
throttled back to a 1 or user environment, then I will probably have
to run up OpenBSD on the SS10.  Is that a bottleneck I need to be
aware of ahead of time?

Thanks

Bob