[SunRescue] Anyone work with VT525 terminals from DEC?

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 07:40:30 CDT 2001

Ken Hansen wrote:

> I have seen these on ebay for $20+/-, the interesting thing to
> me is that they take PS/2 keyboard and SVGA video, so they could
> hang off a server as a console and be attached to a PS/2 KVM...
>
> I understand they are multi-session, but I suspect that requires
> a special protocol on the server to support that
> functionality...

I don't know anything about the VT525, but I do have some experience
with VT510 and VT520. Both are PS/2 keyboard capable and has very nice
features. The VT510 is single-session, either DEC-MMJ or RS-232
interface, while the VT520 has triple-session. The technique behind this
isn't any "protocol", it's just simple multi-port sessions. Hook up 3
computers via serial into each seperate connector on the back and switch
between the sessions with F4-key.
When our VT320/330/420's are failing, we're replacing them with VT520's.
You can't do anything other than just love'em. =)

/Bjorn