re SGI (was RE: [SunRescue] 5 major manufacturers?)

Mike Meredith at home hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 07:55:46 CDT 2000

Hi

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> The discussion of SGI prompted me to do a little web browsing and
> learn a little more about the company and what they have to offer
> to a home user. The Indigo2 does look like a nice machine but I am
> wondering how it would compare if I spent the same amount of money
> on a Sun product or a PC type computer. I notice
> SGI offers remanufactured Indigo2's at their web site which might
> seem a good way to go unless eBay had some better deals. Right now
> I am now using an old Pentium MMX with 32mbRAM so anything would be
> an improvement. I am prepared to spend between $2,000 to $3,000
> including the price of a new monitor. What would you folks get?

Don't go to SGI remarketing --- their prices are a bit on the high
side. Try www.mce.com or www.reputable.com (actually there's quite a
few others out there). $2-3k takes you into the 2nd user O2 (the low
end) or 2nd user Indigo^2 (the high end) territory.

> BTW, here is a link to a site with info on the Indigo2 if anyone
> is interested:  http://sgi-tech.unixology.com/pcw5-93i2.html

If I remember rightly, that's a review of the first Indigo^2's, and the
last Indigo^2's were somewhat different.