[SunRescue] SS2 usefulness (waz: 5 major manufacturers?)

Creaseysammy at oh.verio.com Creaseysammy at oh.verio.com
Thu Sep 28 14:17:35 CDT 2000

On 28 Sep 2000 jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:

> >file transfer is fairly slow (being limited by the
> >3/60's hideous scsi performance, and where slow is defined as something
> >around 140k/s)
>
>    That's pretty bad. What's your disk like? Or maybe it's Linux? My
> experience with 3/60's running SunOS and NetBSD has been well over 200K
> per second, which still isn't blinding speed but there's only so much
> you're going to get out of a ten-megabit ethernet that's being used for
> other things too. A 3/60 can crank it out fast enough to be slowed down
> by other network traffic.

The disk is a fairly old full height 1gig seagate (rebadged by HP).  But I
can get around 1.5 MB/sec off of it in x86/linux..     My experience with
scsi in linux and netbsd was that that particular drive had about equal
performance in both, in the neighborhood of 150k/sec..

Now, granted, I wrote the dma mode on the linux SCSI driver with
absoultely no docs on that f*cking AMD dma controller (sorry, I'm bitter),
so I probably could improve it a little.

NFS is about 300k/s as I remember...  significantly better than scsi.

Anyone know what scsi perf is like on the VME 3/[12]60's (which don't seem
to have quite the same dma hardware)?

-- Sam